Seasonal Recipe: Chai Gingerbread Cookies
When the seasons change, we feel the urge to dive back into our recipe book for tried and true, cozy favorites. If that’s the typical, then make the time to try something new. Here’s a seasonal recipe for chai gingerbread cookies to add some spice and some comfort to your holiday mornings.
You can find this recipe in our latest Crossings Times Fall/Winter Issue.
1. To make the chai spice. In a shallow bowl, combine the cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, all-spice, cloves, and sugar in a glass jar or bowl. Set aside for sprinkling over the cookies.
2. To make the cookies. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the molasses and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt, beat until combined and the dough forms a ball. If the dough feels too wet to roll out, add 2-4 tablespoons of additional flour.
3. Divide the dough in half. Roll out the dough on a floured piece of parchment to 1/4 inch thickness. Make sure you’re using enough flour or your dough will stick. Cut out the cookies using gingerbread cookie cutters. Carefully transfer the cookies to a parchment-lined baking sheet. I recommend using
a floured spatula to lift the cookies. Sprinkle each cookie with the chai sugar. Cover the baking sheet and place in the freezer. Freeze until firm, about 20-30 minutes. Roll out the leftover scraps, and repeat with the remaining dough.
4. Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake the cookies on the middle rack of the oven for 8-10 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, powdered sugar, espresso (if using), vanilla, and cream until smooth and drizzly. If needed, thin the glaze by adding additional cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until drizzly.
6. Decorate each cookie as desired with frosting and sprinkles. Enjoy!
To Pipe Frosting Onto The Cookies: add the frosting to a small sandwich-size Ziploc bag (or a piping bag), then snip a small portion of the corner off.
- Chai Spice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon all-spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus an additional 2-4 tablespoons, if needed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Espresso Frosting
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Land O Lakes® Unsalted Butter, melted
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Land O Lakes® Heavy Whipping Cream assorted sprinkles, for decorating
Recipe from Half Baked Harvest.